AYURVEDA IN ACTION ONLINE!
Tarik Dervish and Dr. Cathy Mae Karelse
Welcome to the world of Ayurveda!
A fascinating system of healing, Ayurveda dates back thousands of years. It shares a common language with and is a close relative of Yoga. Both are gifts from India. Commonly translated as the ‘science of life’ or ‘living well’, Ayurveda offers a deep appreciation of the fundamental components of living holistically in accordance with the principles of nature.
Our unique online programme is for anyone interested in the basic principles and power of Ayurveda and its application in today’s world. The programme combines the very best elements of online training including videos, webinars and pre-recorded lectures that you can watch again and again.
Our course will offer insight into your life by making holistic connections between how you live and how you feel. There will be ample opportunity to introduce changes that generate good health by bringing to light the daily routines, thought patterns and activities that are working for you but more importantly, those that no longer serve you. We will teach you effective time-tested techniques that will make you see yourself in a whole new way.
Personal and Professional
The programme can be used for both personal and professional development.
Yoga Practitioners will be able to adapt their own practices in accordance with Ayurvedic principles which address seasonal and lifestyle changes.
Yoga teachers will be able to apply these principles to course and lesson plans. You will gain insight into differences among your students reflected in the ways they practice so that you are better positioned to support them.
- Due to constant references to Yoga, applicants need at least 6 months experience of Yoga practices (including Asana and Pranayama).
- A good level of English is important to participate and undertake course tasks.
- Membership of the British Wheel of Yoga is desirable. This costs £42 per year however if you are not a BWY member then there is a guest membership of £20.
The full course is accredited by the British Wheel of Yoga. In order to receive a Certificate, you must complete all the online assignments and create a Video Blog (Vlog).
The full course counts for 60 CPD hours.
The Ayurveda Online Course is divided into seven modules of learning. Here are the key themes you will cover:
- What is good health? What is your Ayurvedic constitution? What are the conditions that challenge well-being?
- The five elemental forces and the three doshas: Vata, Pitta and Kapha
- Agni: Your metabolic power
- Ama: the nature of toxicity
- Kriyakala: the six stages of disease
- Kitchen pharmacy and Lifestyle: How to live well using food and herbs
- Yoga practice with an ayurvedic approach including Marmani (sensitive zones)
- Pacifying and purifying: When to cleanse and how to adapt to seasons
- Daily and seasonal routines
- Ayurvedic anatomy and physiology
- Yoga with an ayurvedic approach
What we offer:
- Every Module will be introduced with guidance about how to work through materials
- Each Module will be accompanied by PDFs, slide presentations with voice-over, videos, quizzes and special practices to embed learning
- You will be able to download all course materials and keep webinar recordings.
Assessment and Evaluation
Each Module comes with an accompanying workbook to guide you through the material. You will need to put aside between 4-6 hours to complete the material for each one.
The course is extremely comprehensive with over 50 hours of video, slide and audio content so you will need to allocate about 2 days or four evenings per fortnight to cover each Module of work. You have about 2-3 weeks gap between live webinars and it is best though not essential to have completed the work for each module in time for the webinar.
Quizzes can be fun and motivating so we use them to help you revise themes from previous sessions and recap difficult topics. These allow us to gauge your comprehension and will guide Q&A and the planning of subsequent sessions. These will take place during the live webinars.
The Online Course Vlog
During the online programme, you will be invited to upload a 5-minute Vlog detailing what changes you have made to your daily life as a result of the training. This Vlog may be viewed by your peers and you will receive tutor feedback. We will address the key issues that arise from the exercise in the live weekend.
A full course evaluation will help us assess your experience and improve delivery for future students.
A BWY Ayurveda in Action Module Certificate will be awarded following successful completion of all the online module workbooks and video blog.
If you are unable to complete, you can sign up for the next online course for a discounted rate of £180. If you do not wish to attend any more webinars then you can just pay the registration fee of £60 for the next course and we will register you for certification.
This course has been designed to allow you to various progression pathways.
- If you are thinking of training to become a yoga teacher with us, then this is an ideal foundation course for helping you integrate ayurvedic principles into your yoga teaching. Our teacher training courses run every year, please enquire.
- Should you already be a Yoga Teacher, you might be thinking about training to become a Yoga Therapist. This Module is an essential foundation for training to practise yoga therapy with the Integrated Yoga Therapy programme run by Clear Mind International.
Please note that you will not be qualified to practice Ayurveda or Yoga Therapy on others after this course. It is designed as a Foundation for professional courses in Ayurveda and Yoga Therapy or for Personal development only and as a basis for teaching Yoga with an Ayurvedic approach.
However, your family and friends and students will benefit from your new insights and remedial toolkit! For more information on progression routes in Ayurveda see the website for the Ayurvedic Professionals Association (www.apa.uk.com).
Aims, objectives and outcomes
The Programme aims to:
- Present a structured guide to the basic principles and applications of Ayurveda with special reference to yoga.
- Provide yoga teachers and students sufficient insight into the fundamentals of Ayurveda to allow them to incorporate these into their yoga programmes, both personal and taught.
- Encourage yoga practitioners to consider personal dietary and lifestyle adjustments in accordance with Ayurveda and to equip all practitioners with enhanced self-understanding.
- Equip yoga teachers to understand their students from an Ayurvedic perspective through applying a basic Ayurvedic approach.
- Utilize yogic practices with greater insight from Ayurveda to restore balance.
By the end of the Programme, participants should be able to:
- Understand and apply basic Ayurvedic principles
- Appreciate the complexity of reading an individual both in balance and out of balance at the levels of bodily and mental constitutions
- Apply Ayurvedic principles to help restore balance
- Enhance own yoga training or those of students by integrating Ayurvedic perspectives on health restoration and maintenance
- Have a more informed understanding of themselves and their particular dispositions to move into and out of balance, as well as an understanding of how to restore harmony.
By the end of course, participants will have:
- Advanced their understandings of themselves, enhancing self-study and reflection through content and the very process of learning.
- Learnt about the practicalities of applying Ayurvedic principles and, in the process, come to appreciate the complexities of taking account of many variables in considering diet and lifestyle.
- Considered the interplay of yoga and Ayurveda giving expression to this in their consideration of their yoga programmes.
The Module will cover:
- Philosophical roots of Ayurveda
- The Panchamahabhutas (5 great elements)
- The three Doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha)
- Dinacharya and Ritucharya : the seasonal and daily routines recommended by Ayurveda
- Key concepts of Agni, Aama, Prakruti and Vikruti and Ojas
- The 7 dhatus (tissues)
- Theories of digestion and nutrition
- Ayurveda in the kitchen- Food and herbs from an ayurvedic perspective
- Ayurvedic detoxification and Shatkarmas
- Prakruti (Personal constitution) and Vikruti
- Key Marma points that can be used in Yoga practice
- Ayurveda and Social Action
- Yoga Nidra with an Ayurvedic approach
Ayurveda in Action Online:
Early bird rate till Feb 22nd 2024 is £497.00 +£60 BWY registration (£557) Thereafter, the rate increases to £637 plus £60 BWY registration- £697). Fees must be paid in full by March 8th 2023.
Live Webinar dates: (Time: 1900-2030)
- March 21st 2024 (1900-2000- Induction)
- April 11th
- May 2nd
- May 23rd
- June 20th
- July 11th
- Sept 5th
- Sept 26th
If you are unable to make the live webinars, you will have the opportunity to access and download the recordings for a whole six months from the start of the course.
BWY Accreditation and Registration fees.
We have trained countless BWY Yoga teachers who have gone on to integrate Ayurvedic principles into their own classes. As previously stated, you need to go through the whole programme to gain a certificate from the BWY which you can proudly frame and show off to your students. If you are not already a member, you can join for just £37 a year. If you prefer not to join, then you are allowed to have a guest membership for this course only. You can easily become a member via www.bwy.org.uk and there are many other benefits to joining the BWY community which is one of the biggest and best yoga communities in the UK.
The BWY charge a registration fee for every course you attend. The fee for full Modules is £60 and is not the same as BWY membership. They are two separate charges. The registration fee is integrated into the overall price.
Location: The course will be run entirely online via the Zoom platform.
How to Apply
Please complete the Application form below and send it back to us. We will then send you an Acceptance letter detailing how to log on and sign up for the online component of the training.
We look forward to working with you!
Please refer to the Acceptance letter for further details on how to pay
We are able to offer a 100% refund for any cancellations up to 8 weeks before the launch date of the course minus £20 administration fee.
Thereafter, unfortunately, you will lose any monies paid unless another student can be found to replace you.
If we need to cancel the course for any reason, you will be entitled to 100% refund without an administration fee.
Equal opportunities and Reasonable adjustments
For our live training events, we endeavour to use venues that have disability access, but this is not always possible, so we apologise for this. Space in London can be very tricky to secure.
We also welcome students who may need extra support to succeed on our course. Please advise us on your application form and we will see if the support you require is viable.
The programme is very comprehensive so you will not need to buy any books however the following are a useful reference:
- Frawley, David, (1999). Yoga and Ayurveda: self-healing and self-realisation. Wisconsin: Lotus Press.
- Lad, Vasant. (1990). Ayurveda: the science of self-healing: a practical guide. Wisconsin: Lotus Press.